ASTOR HISTORIC DISTRICT

The people of the Astor Neighborhood began their quest for a place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. An application was approved by the Wisconsin State Historical Society and the U.S. Department of the Interior on February 27,1980 placing the Astor Historic District of Green Bay, Wisconsin on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Astor Historic District is an area within the City of Green Bay bounded by the east bank of the Fox River on the West, East Mason Street on the North, Van Buren on the East and Grignon on the South. This roughly 25-block area contains the largest concentration of architecturally significant homes in Brown County, most built after 1870 until about 1930 when the area was just about “filled in.”

In the early history this area was the home of a large population of Winnebago Indians. Along Monroe Avenue between Emilie and Grignon Streets, there were Indian burial grounds and mounds. The French arrived in the 1630’s with the British following in the 1700’s. By the late 1700’s this area known as La Baye became part of the new United States although the British stayed on until after the War of 1812. This district was the southern half of a township first platted as the Town of Astor in 1837 by John Jacob Astor, owner of the American Fur Company.

Today, one can find in the Astor Historic District some of the most important examples of period architecture in Brown County. The Astor area is still-thriving and the restoration of many of the area homes will continue to leave area generations with a lasting legacy of times gone-by.

Call Bill Dean (920) 321-9137 or E-mail billdeangb@gmail.com
2001-2016 Bill Dean. All rights reserved
Site Designed and Hosted by Brian K. Verheyden